The Lych Gate
The lych gate was built in 1904 in memory of Rosa Boosey (who died that year) and her husband, John Boosey, the music publisher who died in 1893. The term ‘lych' evolved from the Saxon word for corpse, and the lych gate was traditionally a place where corpse bearers carried the body of a deceased person and laid it on a communal bier. Despite these connotations, our lych gate has always been a popular spot for photographs, as can be seen in the Image Gallery. It is technically part of the church, and has Grade II listing from English Heritage.